Saturday, June 13, 2009

Lloyd Polite Jr.


Male RnB & Neo-Soul Artists: Selective Admittance

When it comes to the male artists within the RnB & Neo-Soul genre it seems like the male gender gets selective with whom they actually want to acknowledge they listen to. It's not as persistent with the older artists like Maxwell, Keith Sweat, Montell Jordan, Musiq Soulchild, Bilal, D'Angelo, Raphael Saadiq, Donnell Jones, etc. X 1000 (perhaps this is due to it actually being cool to know the tracks with the females and 1960/70's artists not posing a threat with your girl)... but the selective admittance is more evident with the newer/younger artists who are actually closer to the listeners' age. It might just be a pride factor playing a role in this selectivity, but in my eyes good music is good music.

I just hate it when I hear the word gay being used as a negative adjective rather than a noun to describe some of the newer artists who the listener hasn't even given a chance. Some artists that fall victim to this selective admittance are Lloyd, Bobby Valentino & Trey Songz... even our own Drake was being hated on by many people within our own Screwface Capital, Toronto. I've never been down south before where the music seems to be enjoyed by everyone and not just some but I'm pretty sure it's not as bad down there as it is up here. As for myself, I'll listen to some good RnB & Neo-Soul going for a drive around town any day of the week, windows down.

Here's a new track from Lloyd I stumbled upon (click to play it below). Hope he can re-establish himself and make a comeback:

"Shorty I got a fly spot where we can chill, if you wanna call me when you're leavin' the club... tell your homegirl you about to get your thrills..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Music Updates

Monday, July 13, 2009

Baseball Sex - Lil Wayne feat Mack Maine
Do It Now - Drake
Stunt On You - Drake
Somebody Else - Ne-Yo

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Imma Do It Snippet - Fabolous feat Kobe
Salute - Fabolous feat Lil Wayne
Mr. Gangsta Remix - Lil Wayne feat Smitty
Chameleon - Christina Milian feat The Dream
Diamonds - Rick Ross
Thats What I Thought - T.I.
Bread Up - T.I. feat Trick Daddy & Keri Hilson
Magic - T.I. feat Robin Thicke
Welcome Back To The Trap - T.I.
Don't Give Up - T.I.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Get It - Mase feat Cam'ron
Juice - Drake
The Winner - Drake
Something - Drake
Press It Up - Sean Paul
I'm So Wavy (Jay-Z Diss) - The Game
Look 4 Ya - Andre 300

Friday, July 10, 2009

Don't Trust Me Remix - 3Oh!3 feat Mike Posner & Kid Cudi
Hatin On Him - R Kelly
Welcome To My Workplace - Fabolous

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Slow Down - Drake feat Tommy Stars
Fallen - Keshia Chante feat Drake
Most Wanted Rockstar (Snippet) - Lil Wayne
Sacrifice - Lil Wayne feat Gudda Gudda, T- Streets & Channel

Wednesday, July 8, 2009