Friday, June 19, 2009

My Future: Inspiration...



(play the track while reading the post)

“Sometimes it feels like I'll never go pass here
Sometimes it feels like I'm stuck forever and ever

But, I'm going higher
Closer to my dreams
I'm goin' higher and higher”

Life...

When I take the time to lay back and think my mind often wanders. Now that I am 20 leaning towards 21 and maturing into an adult, an occurring topic of late has been the question of my future.

What is it that I truly want for my future?

Where do I want to be in 5 years?

Should I continue to play it safe by going down the standard path; completing University and then hope to attain an entry level position within the field I studied?

Will I be content with working a 9 to 5 making a salary which is only satisfactory, knowing opportunity for progression isn’t great?

Am I going to be comfortable working in a position which I will lack passion for, solely used as a source of revenue?

Or do I want more for myself?

On Wednesday, May, 13th 2009 I was struck with inspiration and answered a few of those questions...


It was Drake’s “So Far Gone” mixtape tour concert and there I was standing in the center of a packed crowd accompanied by a few of my closest friends with a blunt in hand eagerly awaiting Drake’s arrival to the stage. Just before boredom set in the stage lights brightened, and boom, the beat for his track “Congratulations” dropped. As Drake walked out on stage with a grin from ear to ear, began performing his opening track turning the crowd into a mania, we lit up the blunt and set the mood for the night. While the concert preceded the blend of being “high” from recently smoking and watching one of my favourite artist perform my favourite songs completely focused me. Actually it drifted me away; away from his turbulent fans, away from my friends, away into my own realm. I stood there with full respect watching this young man that choose not to follow the standard path, who refused to play it safe; watching this young man that aimed for more instead of the ordinary, who followed his passion instead of just satisfaction. The thought alone changed me; lit a wick that was buried deep inside of me. The whole event inspired me; I witnessed and recognized a real success story which was composed in my own home city. It hit me.

That night when I got home I hopped in my bed slapped on “Closer” by Goapele, the therapeutic melody and her temperate vocals let me clear my thoughts as my mind swiftly wander off... I asked myself again:

What is it that I truly want for my future?

This time when I thought about it there was a fire dwelling in my hollows. There was a self-belief burning inside me, telling me to follow my passion to reach for my dreams. It was right there and then I decided that I wanted more for myself than just a job than a just a career. Seeing one of my cities own master his passion and then reach to his dreams has honestly inspired me.
What I now want for myself is to follow not a set path but to create my own path, to create my own destiny, to create my own role in this complex world. I will follow my passion and my dreams, my passion for success, my dream to write, and my will to always enjoy life. Yes I’ll complete University and receive a good education but not so I can attain that ordinary job but to equip myself with the tools I will need to design my own unique future. I strongly believe in my abilities and talents; that with dedication, passion, and plenty of practice I will develop my own unique skill that will lead me towards my path to success.


“Sometimes it feels like I'll never go pass here
Sometimes it feels like I'm stuck forever and ever

But, I'm going higher
Closer to my dreams
I'm goin' higher and higher”



Bonus video:
Drake feat Adreena Mills - Closer to my Dreams



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Music Updates

Monday, July 13, 2009

Baseball Sex - Lil Wayne feat Mack Maine
Do It Now - Drake
Stunt On You - Drake
Somebody Else - Ne-Yo

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Imma Do It Snippet - Fabolous feat Kobe
Salute - Fabolous feat Lil Wayne
Mr. Gangsta Remix - Lil Wayne feat Smitty
Chameleon - Christina Milian feat The Dream
Diamonds - Rick Ross
Thats What I Thought - T.I.
Bread Up - T.I. feat Trick Daddy & Keri Hilson
Magic - T.I. feat Robin Thicke
Welcome Back To The Trap - T.I.
Don't Give Up - T.I.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Get It - Mase feat Cam'ron
Juice - Drake
The Winner - Drake
Something - Drake
Press It Up - Sean Paul
I'm So Wavy (Jay-Z Diss) - The Game
Look 4 Ya - Andre 300

Friday, July 10, 2009

Don't Trust Me Remix - 3Oh!3 feat Mike Posner & Kid Cudi
Hatin On Him - R Kelly
Welcome To My Workplace - Fabolous

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Slow Down - Drake feat Tommy Stars
Fallen - Keshia Chante feat Drake
Most Wanted Rockstar (Snippet) - Lil Wayne
Sacrifice - Lil Wayne feat Gudda Gudda, T- Streets & Channel

Wednesday, July 8, 2009